While Foo Fighters frontman Dave Grohl has long been an outspoken supporter of sludgemasters Queens Of The Stone Age, the two acts haven’t been able to cross paths… until now.
After QOTSA’s current headlining trek wraps up early next month, the band will head west to open a string of shows for the Foo Fighters. The groups will first hook up in Phoenix on October 20, and a spokesperson for QOTSA’s label, Interscope Records, told MTV News that the two will continue on the road through November 12.
While lining up those dates, Queens Of The Stone Age has also been busy in the studio. Interscope said the band recently recorded a cover of Romeo Void’s 1982 post-punk dance-rock hit “Never Say Never.” Interscope noted that for now, the song is only expected to surface as a B-side in Europe.
Foo Fighters aren’t the only ones digging Queens Of The Stone Age and its latest album, “R.” Critics continue to heap praise on the album, and the group recently graced
the pages of “Rolling Stone” magazine’s annual “Hot” issue. QOTSA also recently walked away from Britain’s annual Kerrang! Awards with Best International Newcomer honors (the group accepted the award flanked by midget security guards). However, as the band explained, the critical praise is a fortunate byproduct of doing what comes naturally.
“Step one for us was to make music that we would want to hear ourselves,” bassist Nick Oliveri told MTV News recently. “If we’re not really into it, how is anyone else going to get it? That was kind of our outlook on the whole project as we went into it. ‘Let’s make something for us,’ because if you don’t like it yourself, how is anyone else going to get where you’re coming from?” [RealAudio]
If you get where Queens Of The Stone Age is coming from, you can catch
the band on the road
with opening act Vast, or on its trek with Foo Fighters at the following venues (as always, tour dates are subject to change):
- 9/21 – Carrboro, NC @ Cat’s Cradle
- 9/22 – Spartanburg, SC @ Ground Zero
- 9/23 – Norfolk, VA @ The Boathouse
- 9/24 – Richmond, VA @ Mayo Island
- 9/25 – Washington, DC @ 9:30 Club
- 9/27 – New York, NY @ Irving Plaza
- 9/28 – Philadelphia, PA @ Theatre Of Living Arts
- 9/29 – Boston, MA @ Axis
- 9/30 – Syracuse, NY @ Lost Horizon
- 10/1 – Toronto, ON @ Opera House
- 10/3 – Detroit, MI @ St. Andrews Hall
- 10/4 – Columbus, OH @ Newport Music Hall
- 10/5 – Chicago, IL @ Metro
- 10/6 – Milwaukee, WI @ The Rave
- 10/7 – St. Louis, MO @ The Galaxy
- 10/8 – Lawrence, KS @ The Bottleneck
- 10/20 – Phoenix, AZ @ Arizona Memorial Coliseum (w/Foo Fighters)
- 10/24 – San Diego, CA @ The Casbah (w/Foo Fighters)
- 10/25 – Universal City, CA @ Universal Amphitheatre (w/Foo Fighters)