Zapp frontman and talk box aficionado Roger Troutman will be remembered on a new album, "Tribute To Roger Troutman," featuring some of his best known hip-hop collaborations, including tracks with Tupac Shakur, Dr. Dre, EPMD, Blackstreet, and Donell Jones.
In addition to such talk box-laced cuts as "California Love," "You Gots To Chill," and "Booty Call," the "Tribute To Roger Troutman" record also includes songs from S.W.V., Jodeci, and H-Town, as well as three all-new tracks including "True Love" from Chantay Nelson and "Cali4yey" by TWDY with Ant Banks, Too Short, and Dolla Will.
"Players City," a new song from A.L.T. and JV, will be issued as the first single from the "Tribute" album, due in stores on May 23.
Troutman was gunned down by his brother and Zapp bandmate, Larry Troutman, outside of a studio in Dayton, Ohio last April (see "Zapp's Roger And Larry Troutman Killed In Apparent Murder-Suicide").
At the time of his death, it was estimated that his work for Zapp, the Ohio Players, and Parliament-Funkadelic had been sampled in over 500 different songs.
The tracks slated for inclusion on "Tribute To Roger Troutman:"
- Tupac Shakur featuring Dr. Dre and Roger Troutman - "California Love"
- S.W.V. - "Weak (Bam Jams Jeep Mix)"
- Jodeci - "What About Us"
- Ronnie Hudson - "West Coast Poplock"
- Paperboy - "Ditty"
- Mokenstef - "He's Mine"
- H-Town - "Knockin' Da Boots"
- MC Breed - "Ain't No Future In Yo' Frontin'"
- EPMD - "You Gots To Chill"
- Blackstreet - "Booty Call"
- Donell Jones - "In The Hood (Remix)"
- Chantay Nelson - "True Love"
- TWDY with Ant Banks, Too Short, and Dolla Will - "Cali4yey"
- A.L.T. and JV - "Players City"