Metallica, Dr. Dre, Kid Rock, the Red Hot Chili Peppers, Eminem, and No Doubt are among the artists that will be coming out for a weekend of performances celebrating the opening of Seattle's Experience Music Project, scheduled for June 23-25.
Snoop Dogg, Matchbox 20, Beck, Filter, Alanis Morissette, Eurythmics, James Brown, Bo Diddley, Patti Smith, Built To Spill, Hovercraft, Screaming Trees, Bob Mould, and the Murder City Devils have all signed on to play at separate "Grand Opening" shows being staged on the Seattle Center.
The Experience Music Project has been spearheaded by Microsoft co-founder Paul Allen, and was originally intended to be a museum dedicated to guitarist Jimi Hendrix, and based around Allen's personal collection of Hendrix memorabilia.
Allen eventually chose to broaden plans for the museum and cover not only just Hendrix and rock and roll, but also jazz, soul, gospel, country, blues, hip-hop, punk, and other more recent genres (see "Seattle's Experience Music Project Plans Opening").
In 1997, Mudhoney and The Presidents Of The United States Of America performed at a special ground-breaking ceremony for the Experience Music Project which, when finished, will feature more than 80,000 music artifacts housed in an 140,000 square foot building.
Additional artists will be named to the EMP "Grand Opening" shows in the next few weeks. For more information about tickets to the various shows and the Experience Music Project, be sure to check out the museum's Web site at www.emplive.com.
The current lineup for the EMP concerts:
- Metallica, Dr. Dre, Eminem, Snoop Dogg, Kid Rock, Filter, Red Hot Chili Peppers @ Memorial Stadium (ticketed show)
- Rickie Lee Jones @ Bagley Wright Theatre (ticketed show)
- Patti Smith, Dave Alvin & The Guilty Men, Christy McWilson @
Mural Amphitheatre (free show)
- Junior Brown, Bob Mould, Pedro The Lion @ Flag Plaza (free show)
- Eurythmics, Matchbox 20, Alanis Morissette, Beck, No Doubt @ Memorial Stadium (ticketed show)
- "DJ/Electronica Show" with artists to be announced @ Flag Pavilion (ticketed show)
- Taj Mahal, Bo Diddley, Johnnie Johnson, Big Jay McNeely, Carol Kaye @ Mural Amphitheatre (free show)
- "Bing Bang Boom Show" with Michael Shrieve, Airto, Zakir Hussein, Imperial Teen, Maktub, Neko Case, IQU @ Flag Plaza (free show)
- Screaming Trees, Ann and Nancy Wilson, Built To Spill, Fastbacks, Metal Madness, NW All Stars, Subset, Sonics Tribute, Young Fresh Fellows @ Memorial Stadium (ticketed show)
- James Brown, The JB's, Maceo Parker @ Key Arena (ticketed show)
- Bill Frisell's New Quartet, Larry Coryell @ Bagley Wright Theater (ticketed show)
- The Kingsmen, Paul Revere & The Raiders,
The Fabulous Wailers, The Dynamics with Jimmie Hanna, Ventures, Merrilee Rush, Jr. Cadillac @ Mural Amphitheatre (free show)
- Cold Crush Bros., Hovercraft, Murder City Devils, Bratmobile, Source Of Labor @ Flag Plaza (free show)