In what has the makings of a seminar on the true meaning of "alternative" music, new wave futurists Devo will join the Violent Femmes and Ween for a one-off show in Los Angeles later this month.
The show, set for the Universal Amphitheater on January 21, marks a rare appearance by Devo, who resurfaced in 1997 to play Lollapalooza with Korn, Tool, Tricky, Snoop, Prodigy, and others. The band then went on to play the four-date Silicon Planet Experience last fall with Beck, and also turned up on the "Chef Aid" episode of "South Park." The Los Angeles date is, so far, the only show Devo has planned for 1999.
Meanwhile, the show will mark the start of a brief tour of the western states for the Femmes, who will visit Utah, Washington, and various points in California. Here's where they will be:
- 1/23 - Salt Lake City, UT @ University Of Utah
- 1/24 - Boise, ID @ Doubletree Ballroom
- 1/25 - Seattle, WA @ Moore Theatre
- 1/26 - Seattle, WA @ Moore Theatre
- San Francisco, CA @ Fillmore
- 1/29 - Temecula, CA @ Pechanga Entertainment Center