Those “Independent Women” of Destiny’s Child have an injured woman among their ranks, as a backstage accident has left the group’s Kelly Rowland with two broken toes.
Rowland’s tough break came on October 5 during a quick backstage costume change at Denver’s Magness Arena, where the group was opening for Christina Aguilera. According to Destiny’s Child’s manager, Mathew Knowles, Kelly was struggling to change in the dark when she fell over a ramp and broke the second and third toes of her right foot.
The R&B trio is currently winding down its road trip with Aguilera, and Rowland continues to perform while seated in a chair. Someone has stepped in to fill Kelly’s vacant dancing shoes, however: 14-year-old Solange, sister of the group’s Beyoncé, who is performing Rowland’s moves onstage.
Manager Knowles told MTV News that the group will be leaving the tour two dates early so that Kelly can recuperate.
Here’s how the remainder of Aguilera’s
tour shapes up:
- 10/10 – Chula Vista, CA @ Coors Amphitheatre
- 10/11 – Universal City, CA @ Universal Amphitheatre
- 10/12 – Universal City, CA @ Universal Amphitheatre
- 10/14 – Marysville, CA @ Sacramento Valley Amphitheatre
- 10/15 – Concord, CA @ Chronicle Pavilion @ Concord
- 10/18 – Portland, OR @ Rose Garden Arena
- 10/19 – Seattle, WA @ KeyArena at Seattle Center (w/o Destiny’s Child)
- 10/21 – Honolulu, HI @ Blaisdell Arena (w/o Destiny’s Child)