Failing air condition and excessive human friction turned Philadelphia's Electric Factory into a sweatbox on Wednesday night, but that didn't slow down the Deftones as the band hit the ground running at the launch of its U.S. tour.
The progressive hard rock outfit delivered its "White Pony" to record stores on Tuesday, and some 3,000 fans came out in Philly to help the band celebrate its arrival. The Deftones greeted the crowd with a smoldering rendition of "Be Quiet And Drive." A perfect introduction, according to frontman Chino Moreno.
"I think that's just the way to come on stage," Chino explained to MTV News' Brian McFayden after the show. "To have that intensity, but to have just that undeniable 'watch me' sound. It makes everybody kind of smile. A lot of bands will come out and say, 'Let's play our hardest stuff,' but I'd rather just come out and have a smile." [RealVideo]
It was an emotional scene, but before taking the stage, Chino said that a newfound sense of maturity (and concern about potential lawsuits) would keep his feet planted firmly on the stage throughout the band's set; when the group took the stage, the heat inside the Electric Factory seemed to make that proclamation a near certainty. However, Chino's pledge lasted all of two songs, as the singer launched himself into the crowd during the second song of the band's set.
"That's the power of music man," Chino explained to McFayden after the show. "I contradict myself. I lie, I will say that."
The band proceeded to work through a 16-song set that our sister site SonicNet reported was an even mix of tracks from the Deftones' three albums. The band kept the pedal to the floor throughout the set, despite the sweltering conditions in the club. Even Chino found himself seeking refuge from the heat between the band's set and its encore.
"I went outside because it was just too hot," Chino admitted. "I knew if I went out outside, at least I got to breathe, because the air wasn't circulating, or it least it didn't really feel like it. It was way beyond hot." [RealVideo]
Fans were all hot and bothered after the set as well. "I think the new stuff went over so great because a lot of people have the album already," Deftones' fan Steve Dallesandro told SonicNet after the show. "I went out and got it yesterday because I love these guys and I wanted to be familiar with everything they were going to play."
"Deftones fans are dedicated," another concertgoer, Randy Montgomery, told SonicNet. "It shouldn't be surprising that so many people here bought the album. These guys are amazing; they've got so much energy. They put on a great show, even though it was unbelievably hot in there."
If you're up for it, here's where you can catch the Deftones this summer:
- 6/24 - Worcester, MA @ The Palladium
- 6/25 - Pontiac, MI @ Phoenix Plaza Amph.
- 6/27 - Des Moines, IA @ Super Toad
- 6/28 - Omaha, NE @ Sokol Auditorium
- 6/29 - Milwaukee, WI @ Summerfest
- 6/30 - Minneapolis, MN @ Quest Club
- 7/1 - Chicago, IL @ Riviera Theatre
- 7/3 - Lawrence, KS @ Liberty Hall
- 7/6 - St. Louis, MO @ American Theatre
- 7/7 - Columbus, OH @ Newport Music Hall
- 7/8 - Belle Vernon, PA @ Ice Garden Arena
- 7/9 - Grand Rapids, MI @ Orbit Room
- 7/10 - Cleveland, OH @ Agora Theatre
- 7/12 - New York, NY @ Roseland
- 7/14 - Rochester, NY @ ESL Center
- 7/15 - Williamsville, NY @ Runwayz
- 7/17 - Toronto, ON @ The Guvernment
- 7/19 - Norfolk, VA @ The NorVa
- 7/20 - Atlanta, GA @ Tabernacle
- 7/21 - Myrtle Beach, SC @ House Of Blues
- 7/22 - Jacksonville, FL @ Club 5
- 7/23 - Miami, FL @ Bicentennial Park
- 7/25 - Orlando, FL @ Hard Rock Live
- 7/27 - Houston, TX @ Aerial Theatre at Bayou Place
- 7/28 - Austin, TX @ Austin Music Hall
- 7/29 - Dallas, TX @ Bronco Bowl
- 7/30 - Tulsa, OK @ Brady Theatre
- 8/2 - Salt Lake City, UT @ Fairpark Mall
- 8/4 - Vancouver, BC @ B.C. Place Stadium
- 8/5 - Seattle, WA @ Fairgrounds
- 8/6 - Portland, OR @ Portland Meadows
- 8/8 - San Francisco, CA @ The Warfield
- 8/10 - West Hollywood, CA @ Hollywood Palladium
- 8/11 - Phoenix, AZ @ Celebrity Theatre
- 8/12 - La Jolla, CA @ RIMAC Arena
- 8/13 - Las Vegas, NV @ Hard Rock Hotel - The Joint
- 8/14 - Sacramento, CA @ Memorial Auditorium