Native American rock outfit Indigenous will take a detour from its current tour route to open several Midwest shows for the Dave Matthews Band, including a two-night stand in East Troy, Wisconsin, on August 19 and 20.
The group, formed by siblings Mato Nanji (guitars, vocals), Horse (percussion), Pte (bass), and sister Wanbdi (drums), was added to the DMB bill after the previously announced opener, David Gray, had to drop out due to scheduling conflicts with his own tour.
In addition to the Dave Matthews dates, Indigenous is also getting ready to release "Rest Of My Days" as the second single from its new album, "Circles," a record that was produced by Texan blues guitarist Doyle Bramhall.
Bramhall is perhaps best known for having collaborated on several songs with legendary guitarist Stevie Ray Vaughan, writing such tracks as "Change It" for the late bluesman.
Indigenous had initially wanted to work with Bramhall on its first album, 1998's
"Things We Do," and even though it took a little coaxing to get him into the studio for "Circles," Bramhall quickly got on a board once he heard the material.
"It was kind of hard asking Doyle to come in and work on the record," Pte said. "I think we had him in mind for 'Things We Do,' but it didn't work out. First time we asked Doyle, he was like, 'Well, I don't know if I can do that,' and [we said], 'OK, cool. Then we'll do it [ourselves].'
"I don't know if he had really gotten the chance to produce anything," Nanji explained, "beside from making songs with Stevie Ray Vaughan and stuff, but he never really actually had the chance to produce a record, so he was probably leery about it [laughs]."
"But we talked him into it," Pte added,
"and he came up and said, 'Well, I don't want to be the producer, I just want to help you guys do what you're doing.' Then, as [the sessions] went along, he said, 'OK, I want to do the album.'" [RealAudio]
The current itinerary for Indigenous' tour:
- 8/17 - New York, NY @ National Museum Of The American Indian
- 8/18 - Erie, PA @ Erie Days Festival
- 8/19 - East Troy, WI @ Alpine Valley Music Theater (opening for Dave Matthews Band)
- 8/20 - East Troy, WI @ Alpine Valley Music Theater (opening for Dave Matthews Band)
- 8/22 - Cuyahoga Falls, OH @ Blossom Music Center
- 9/1 - Arcata, CA @ John Van Duzer Theater
- 9/2 - Laytonville, CA @ Hog Farm PigNic
- 9/3 - Seattle, WA @ Bumbershoot Festival
- 9/4 - Atlanta, GA @ Montreux Atlanta Music Festival
- 9/6 - Myrtle Beach, SC @ House Of Blues
- 9/7 - Lake Buena Vista, FL @ House Of Blues
- 9/8 - Sunrise, FL @ Alligator Alley
- Tampa, FL @ Skipper's Smokehouse
- 9/12 - Lexington, KY @ Lynagh's
- 9/15 - Uncasville, CT @ Mohegan Sun Casino
- 9/23 - Camp Verde, AZ @ Cliff Castle Casino