Creed counted their blessings at the My VH1 Music Awards on Thursday, taking home four of the 23 categories designed and decided by fans voting online.
The Florida rock trio, who led the list of nominees with nine, won Group of the Year as well as Song of the Year for “Higher,” [RealVideo] from their multi-platinum second album Human Clay (1999).
“Being nominated by the fans and all the nominations we got was the ultimate pat on the back, the ultimate, ‘Hey, you’re doing a good job, and we appreciate what you do,’ ” singer Scott Stapp said backstage shortly after accepting their Welcome to the Big Time! award. That nod, one of several atypical categories featured in the award show, recognized their new heavyweight status in pop music.
“[It] gives us the sense that we connected with people, and they understand what we do,” Stapp continued. “I feel so many emotions right now. I feel like I’m at
the top of my career. I don’t know where to go. I just want to enjoy the moment, enjoy the people here and my two best friends [Creed guitarist Mark Tremonti and drummer Scott Phillips], and have this moment never end.”
When an absent Ricky Martin was declared winner of the Booty Shake award, someone wearing a huge pair of foam buttocks over his head came onstage to accept the prize.
Host John Leguizamo opened the show with a raunchy rap that included the line: “I’ve been to bed with Britney. I’ve been to bed with Mandy. I couldn’t get Christina, so I did her brother Andy.”
The show was dedicated to Joe C., Kid Rock’s sidekick, who died November 17 as a result of a lifelong illness, celiac disease. He was 26.
My VH1 Music Awards winners:
- Must Have Album: Red Hot Chili Peppers, Californication
- Your Song Kicked A** But Was Played Too Damn Much: Santana, “Smooth”
- Song of the Year: Creed, “Higher”
- Man of the Year: Carlos Santana
- Woman of the Year: Faith Hill
- Group of the Year: Creed
- Most Entertaining Public Feud: Eminem Vs. Everyone
- Best Live Act: Dave Matthews Band
- Best Stage Spectacle: Metallica with the San Francisco Symphony
- Welcome to the Big Time!: Creed
- Best-Kept Secret: The Corrs
- Sexxxiest Video: Faith Hill, “Breathe”
- Video of the Year: Bon Jovi, “It’s My Life”
- Pushing the Envelope Video: Red Hot Chili Peppers, “Californication” [RealVideo]
- Coolest Fan Web Site: Dave Matthews Band, www.nancies.org
- Booty Shake: Ricky Martin
- Gods of Thunder: Metallica
- Legend in Action: Sting
- Givin’ It Back: Limp Bizkit
- 2 For 2: Creed
- “You Want Fries With That Album?”: Faith Hill — Pepsi
- Double Threat (Musician – Actors):
Will Smith, “The Legend of Bagger Vance”
- Best U.K. Act: Robbie Williams