August 5 [14:00 EDT] -- Schoolly D, Vic Chesnutt, Giant Sand, the Grifters, and the Mekons are among the artists who give some childhood classics very modern makeovers on "Rudy's Rockin' Kiddie Caravan."
Schoolly D takes on "This Old Man," Chesnutt reworks "Home on the Range," and The Grifters weigh in with "The Muffin Man" on this twisted collection, which is a companion piece to TNT's equally off-kilter "Rudy and GoGo."
The non sequitur-laden adventures of Rudy the marionette and his goat pal GoGo make the goings on in Pee Wee's Playhouse seem relatively lucid. The duo are often joined by fellow marionette Jesse B [IMB QuickTime], as well as the Mekons' Jon Langford as the Old Salty SeaBiscuit, Bill Taft of Smoke as Unkle Carbunkle, and pop/country singer Sally Timms as Cowboy Sally.
If the mix sounds intriguing, you'll have to look harder than your local record store to find it. The album is available for only by mail order
from Bloodshot Records, but with all proceeds from sales of the $12 CD going to the National Center for Family Literacy, it might be worth tracking down.
Bloodshot can be reached by mail at 912 W. Addison, Suite 1, Chicago, IL 60613, by phone at (773) 248-8709, or by e-mail at email@example.com.
Here's what you can expect in the mail:
- "Bus" - Susie Honeyman
- "This Old Man" - Schoolly D
- "Old Joe Clark" - Smoke
- The Man on the Flying Trapeze" - Calexico
- "Them Bones" - The Waco Brothers
- "Blow The Man Down" - Giant Sand
- "What Can The Matter Be?" - Anne Richmond Boston
- J'Ai Passe Devant Ta Porte" - D.L. Menard & The Louisiana Aces
- "The ABC Song" - Zydeco Elvis
- "Hush Little Baby" - Sally Timms
- "Nokas For The Kinder" - New Orleans Klezmer All-Stars
- "Playmate" - The Chiselers
- "She'll Be Coming 'Round The Mountain" - The Rock*A*Teens
- "Skip To My Lou" - Moonshine Willy
- "The Great Titanic" - Kelly Hogan
- "A Frozen
Road" - The Black Mama Dharma Band
- "Oranges & Lemons" - Mekons
- "John Henry" - New Kingdom
- "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star" - Rob Gal
- "Froggie Went A-Courtin'" - Blacktop Rockets
- "Home on the Range" - Vic Chesnutt
- "The Muffin Man" - The Grifters
Of course, the television show is a bit easier to find. "Rudy and GoGo" turn up on TNT each Saturday at 5 p.m. and Sunday at 7 p.m. Eastern time.