With a slot on teen queen Britney Spears' tour and a debut video on "Total Request Live," the British trio BBMak is finding life in the States to be quite a ride these days.
"We're really, really busy," the group's Ste McNally told MTV News, somehow understating the run BBMak has been on. "We've been on 80 planes in the last six months and haven't even covered half of the United States." [RealVideo]
The guys are currently taking a brief break before taking on the rest of the country on the next leg of Britney's tour. After those dates rap in late September, BBMak's record label, Hollywood Records, says the trio plans to launch its own headlining tour in October. The group has yet to sort out its plans for a follow-up single to "Back Here," but Hollywood notes that "I'm Not In Love"
is a strong candidate.
For now, the group is just happy to have the chance to make an impression on Britney's sizeable audience. "It's been great to get the opportunity to go on tour with Britney," Christian Burns said. "To go on stage in front of 25,000 people for a new band with a debut single -- it's a great experience in front of large crowds, and it's just great to get out there and be meeting people and to let people see what BBMak look like." [RealVideo]
Even the older crowd likes it, so that's
While an opening slot on Britney's tour offers a veritable corner on the teen market, the band hopes to reach more than just the teen pop audience. BBMak flaunts its affection for the Goo Goo Dolls and Oasis and talks with pride about having landed "Back Here" on the Adult Contemporary radio chart. But despite the difference between these well-coifed guitar-slingers and their equally well-groomed (if somewhat less musically inclined) contemporaries, they aren't going to get offended if the "boy band" tag comes up.
"People can call us whatever they want as long as they go out there and buy the record and enjoy the music. That's what it's all about for us," Burns explained. "I think if we all had beards and we were all 40, people would just call us a band, but because we're
all young and we like
to dress well, they think, 'Oh, they should be dancing.'
"They see your picture in a magazine and say 'Ah, these guys are going to come on and do some really good moves.' But we don't," he said. "We come out and we play and the reason we do that it because we love doing it live whenever we can, and we can't possibly sing to the best of our abilities if we're jumping around on stage. 'NSYNC and the Backstreet Boys, they do that, and they do a fantastic job. We were watching 'NSYNC the other day on the TV and those guys are amazing dancers and they can sing as well. That's great, and they do it really well. We just do something different." [RealVideo]
If you want to experience that difference, here's where you can catch BBMak playing their own shows as well as opening for Britney:
- 8/19 - Seattle, WA @ KBKS Radio Show
- 8/20 - Shirly, NY @ Waldbaum Balloon Festival
- San Diego, CA @ SeaWorld "Pepsi's Club Sea World"
- 8/25 - Memphis, TN @ WKSL Radio Show
- 8/28 - Boston, MA @ Tweeter Center w/Britney Spears
- 8/29 - Detroit, MI @ Michigan State Fair
- 8/30 - Saratoga, NY @ SPAC w/Britney Spears
- 8/31 - Allentown, PA @ Allentown Fair
- 9/1 - Knoxville, TN @ Thompson Bowling w/Britney Spears
- 9/2 - Houston, TX @ KRBE Radio Show
- 9/2 - Indianapolis, IN @ Deer Creek w/Britney Spears
- 9/3 - Columbus, OH @ Polaris w/Britney Spears
- 9/9 - Orlando, FL @ Orlando Arena w/Britney Spears
- 9/10 - Minneapolis, MN @ KDWB Radio Show
- 9/12 - Raleigh, NC @ Alltel @ Walnut Creek w/Britney Spears
- 9/13 - Allegan, MI @ Allegan County Fair
- 9/14 - Virginia Beach, ville, TN @ Am. South Ampitheatre w/Britney Spears
- 9/18 - Atlanta, GA @ Lakewood Ampitheatre w/Britney Spears
For a full-length interview with BBMak, check out the MTV News Online feature "BBMak: Three's A Charm."