Teen phenom Christina Aguilera is facing some business-related legal trouble, as the singer's mother, Shelly Kearns, and current manager, Steven Kurtz, have been hit with a $7 million lawsuit brought by the singer's former manager, Ruth Inniss.
Lawyers for Inniss filed the breach of contract suit in Manhattan Supreme Court on Wednesday. The suit claims that in 1994, Inniss and Kearns "specifically agreed that upon Aguilera's obtaining a recording contract, Inniss would act as Aguilera's manager in all phases of advancing and developing Aguilera's career."
Inniss, a former talent scout for RCA Records and publicist for singing group SWV, says that she first became aware of Aguilera's talents in the fall of 1993, when she met the then twelve-year-old singer and "Mouseketeer" when SWV appeared on "The Mickey Mouse Show."
Inniss' suit also names Kurtz and his attorney father, Normand, as defendants, alleging that the two conspired to "interfere with [Inniss']
contractual relationship" with Kearns, and that Normand Kurtz fraudulently steered Kearns and Aguilera to sign a management deal with Steven in 1995.
Inniss' suit seeks at least $2 million from Kearns and an additional $5 million from the Kurtzes for monetary loss and damages.
Reached on Friday by MTV News, Steven Kurtz indicated that while he hasn't been formally served with the suit, he was confident that the matter would be dealt with quickly.
"All I can say is that I've been working with Christina for almost four years now," Kurtz told MTV News, "and I've never spoken to or communicated with Ruth Inniss in any way regarding the representation of Christina Aguilera."
Outside the legal fray, Aguilera has just completed a Canadian run of shows and is next scheduled to play the California Mid-State Fair in Paso Robles, California.
The current itinerary for Aguilera's tour:
- 7/26 - Paso Robles, CA @ California Mid-State Fair
- Billings, MT @ MetraPark Arena
- 7/29 - Minot, ND @ North Dakota State Fair
- 7/31 - Bonner Springs, KS @ Sandstone Amphitheater
- 8/1 - Maryland Heights, MO @ Riverport Amphitheater
- 8/3 - Kearney, NE @ Buffalo County Fair
- 8/4 - Omaha, NE @ Douglas County Fair
- 8/6 - Noblesville, IN @ Deer Creek Music Center
- 8/7 - Antioch, TN @ AmSouth Amphitheater
- 8/10 - Des Moines, IA @ Iowa State Fair
- 8/11 - Springfield, IL @ Illinois State Fair
- 8/13 - Sedalia, MO @ Missouri State Fair
- 8/14 - Columbus, OH @ Ohio State Fair
- 8/15 - Midland, MI @ Midland County Fair
- 8/18 - Louisville, KY @ Kentucky State Fair
- 8/19 - Chicago, IL @ United Center
- 8/21 - Cincinnati, OH @ Riverbend Music Center
- 8/23 - Cleveland, OH @ Gund Arena
- 8/24 - Clarkston, MI @ Pine Knob Music Theater
- 8/26 - Burgettstown, PA @ Post-Gazette Pavilion @ Star Lake
- 8/28 - St. Paul, MN @ Minnesota State Fair
- 8/30 - Darien Center, NY @ Darien Lake Six
- 8/31 - Essex Junction, VT @ Champlain Valley Expo
- 9/1 - Hartford, CT @ Meadows Music Theater
- 9/3 - Syracuse, NY @ New York State Fair
- 9/4 - Saratoga Springs, NY @ Performing Arts Center
- 9/6 - Holmdel, NJ @ P.N.C. Bank Arts Center
- 9/8 - Wantagh, NY @ Jones Beach Amphitheater
- 9/9 - Mansfield, MA @ Tweeter Center For The Performing Arts
- 9/11 - Virginia Beach, VA @ GTE Virginia Beach Amphitheater
- 9/15 - Camden, NJ @ Blockbuster - Sony E Center
- 9/16 - Columbia, MD @ Merriweather Post
- 9/18 - Charlotte, NC @ Blockbuster Pavilion
- 9/20 - Atlanta, GA @ Philips Arena
- 9/22 - Orlando, FL @ TD Waterhouse Centre
- 9/23 - Tampa, FL @ Ice Palace
- 9/25 - West Palm Beach, FL @ Mars Music Amphitheater
- 9/27 - New Orleans, LA @ UNO Lakefront Arena
- 9/29 - Spring, TX @ C.W. Mitchell Pavilion
- 9/30 - Dallas, TX @ State Fair Of Texas
- 10/5 - Denver, CO @ Magness Arena
- 10/8 - Phoenix, AZ @ America West Arena
- 10/10 - Chula Vista, CA @ Coors Amphitheater
- 10/11 - Universal City, CA @ Universal Amphitheater
- 10/14 - Marysville, CA @ Sacramento Valley Amphitheater
- 10/15 - Concord, CA @ Chronicle Pavilion @ Concord
- 10/18 - Portland, OR @ Rose Garden Arena
- 10/19 - Seattle, WA @ KeyArena at Seattle Center