Afghan Whigs Take Club, Media To Task Over Austin Altercation

The Afghan Whigs are now telling their side of the story regarding the Austin altercation that saw frontman Greg Dulli hospitalized with a skull fracture earlier this month.

Dulli was knocked down following their performance at the Liberty Lunch December 12 and spent several days in intensive care at an Austin hospital (see "Afghan Whigs Greg Dulli Recovering From Head Injury"). Dulli and the Whigs filed a lawsuit against the club and several employees December 17. On December 29, they posted a note on their website ( refuting Austin media reports and the club's version of the events point by point.

The accounts offered up by the two sides differ dramatically. According to reports in the Austin media quoting the club's management, Dulli, supposedly angry over an earlier encounter with a club bouncer, was said to have approached the man while wielding

a two-by-four, insulted his appearance and told him they had some "unfinished business." Dulli was subsequently knocked down in self-defense and hit his head on the cement floor.

The lawsuit, however, which according to Austin Chronicle columnist Ken Lieck reads like a Dukes of Hazzard episode complete with oddly named characters, drunken brawls and "Civil War-based prejudices," contends that Dulli was coming out of the club's washroom armed only with a cigarette. The papers say he was blindsided and knocked to the ground by the staffer referred to only as "Taitor" in the documents. The suit alleges he was also kicked and punched while on the ground by another bouncer referred to as "Porkchop" and that his injuries were the direct result of the two men's actions. Another band member is said to have attempted to help Dulli and was also assaulted by Porkchop.

The suit is apparently lodged against Taitor, Lunch owner J'Net Ward and manager Mileah Jordan, and includes charges

of slander based on the statements made by Ward and Jordan.

The band's website takes the Austin media to task for extensively quoting Ward and Jordan and not researching the real facts of the case.

"The club's story about Greg attacking anyone with a 2 x 4 is a pathetic attempt to cover up the reprehensible conduct of their employees," reads the post. "Repeating something over and over again doesn't make it a fact."

The document, signed "the Afghan Whigs," questions why the employee, said to be off duty by the club, was allowed to stay on the premises after the club was closed. It indicates that the club's management was aware there had been trouble earlier between the employee and the band, and that the club had assured the band that the employee would be sent home.

It asks that if the employee was innocent, why the club tried to distance itself from him by claiming things like he was off duty and they didn't know his last name. According to the site, the club allowed

the two employees involved to leave without talking to the Police. The post also says that although the club managers told Police that they had taken possession of the bat or stick allegedly carried by Dulli, they were unable to produce it.

The post also contends that the club's bartender refused to call 911 after Dulli had obviously been seriously injured, and that it took a non-staff person to summons the emergency medical service.

Meanwhile, the site says that Dulli's health is slowly improving and that the band hopes to resume touring in February 1999. They plan to make up most of the seven shows missed after Austin, return to some cities they have already played and add some new tour stops before heading to Europe in March.