The Dandy Warhols will wrap up the first leg of their fall tour following an October 17 gig in Minneapolis, and the band has already mapped out plans for a second round of North American dates beginning in November.
Before launching the second tour leg on November 4 in Sacramento, California, the Dandy Warhols will travel to Australia for a two-week run of dates, including multiple night stands in Sydney and Australia.
In recent shows, the Portland, Oregon-based band has been rolling out several covers, including a full-band reading of the Rolling Stones' "The Last Time," along with a solo rendition of Kristin Hersh's "Your Ghost" performed by Warhols frontman Courtney Taylor-Taylor.
Shortly after completing their newest album, "Thirteen Tales From Urban Bohemia," the cover bug bit the Warhols in a big way, and the band decided to record a psychedelic interpretation of "Hells Bells," the classic lead track from AC/DC's 1980 LP, "Back In Black."
Taylor-Taylor told MTV News that the group originally intended to sell its AC/DC cover before opting to use the track as a B-side for the import version of its "Bohemian Like You" single.
"We needed some extra money," Taylor-Taylor admitted, "and we wanted to try and sell it to a horror movie for a soundtrack. I also just wanted to do it really bad. I've been listening to 'Back In Black' a lot this year, and 'Hells Bells' is not how I remembered it as a kid.
"It is not nearly as creepy and warm, and [it doesn't have that] scary sexuality," he continued. "It just isn't. So I just wanted to make a version that is as monstery, overwhelmingly creepy and powerful, and as scary-rock as I remember it being when I was a kid. So that's what we did." [RealAudio]
Even though the band wasn't
able to find a cinematic home for its AC/DC cover, the Warhols recently cut an update of a Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young song, "Ohio," for inclusion on the soundtrack to the political documentary "Last Party" (see "Third Eye Blind, Rage On Tap For 'Last Party' Soundtrack").
Dates for the second leg of the Dandy Warhols' fall North American tour:
- 11/4 - Sacramento, CA @ Bojangles
- 11/5 - San Francisco, CA @ Fillmore
- 11/7 - Los Angeles, CA @ El Rey
- 11/8 - Los Angeles, CA @ El Rey
- 11/9 - San Diego, CA @ Canes Bar & Grill
- 11/11 - Salt Lake City, UT @ DV8
- 11/12 - Denver, CO @ TBA
- 11/14 - Dallas, TX @ Trees
- 11/15 - Austin, TX @ TBA
- 11/16 - Houston, TX @ Numbers
- 11/17 - New Orleans, LA @ The Howlin' Wolf
- 11/18 - Atlanta, GA @ Cotton Club
- 11/19 - Cincinnati, OH @ Bogarts
- 11/21 - Columbus, OH @ Newport Hall
- 11/22 - St. Louis, MO @ The Galaxy
- 11/24 - Madison, WI
- 11/25 - Milwaukee, WI @ Rave Bar
- 11/27 - Winnepeg, MN @ TBA
- 11/29 - Saskatoon, SK @ TBA
- 12/1 - Calgary, AB @ TBA
- 12/2 - Edmonton, AB @ TBA
- 12/4 - Vancouver, BC @ TBA
- 12/5 - Seattle, WA @ Showbox