Source Awards To Be Restaged For TV

Show will be televised as scheduled at 8 p.m. Tuesday with added portions edited into footage.

PASADENA, Calif. — Missing pieces of the aborted The Source Hip-Hop Music Awards, which came to an abrupt end after a melee broke out Tuesday night at the Pasadena Civic Auditorium, will be restaged in the coming days so the ceremony can be televised almost in full, a UPN spokesperson said.

The show will be televised as scheduled at 8 p.m. Aug. 29, with the added portions edited into the footage already taped at the Pasadena Civic Auditorium.

"The show will appear seamless to the audience [watching it on television]," UPN spokesperson Charles Barile said. Organizers have not announced where the missing portions will be taped or whether audiences will be reassembled for the additional footage. (Sonicnet.com's parent company, Viacom, also owns UPN.)

Pasadena police stopped the show when fights broke out in the crowd and an estimated 75 people stormed the stage. Witnesses and police said some of those involved allegedly were rappers and their associates. Authorities said they did not know what started the fights and made no arrests.

Authorities are not investigating the incidents that occurred Tuesday any further, Pasadena police spokeswoman Janet Pope said. Though police received reports of injuries, Pope said they were not able to confirm those accounts.

Label Denies Rapper's Involvement

Several witnesses said Bone Thugs-N-Harmony rapper Krayzie Bone had been badly beaten, but a Ruthless Records spokesperson said on Wednesday (Aug. 23) that the rapper was not involved in any of the altercations and was not hurt.

Only five of the show's 15 awards, including the lifetime achievement honors to Dr. Dre and Ice Cube, were handed out before police called off the show. However, a list of all the winners surfaced on Wednesday, with sources close to the ceremony confirming the information is accurate. Dr. Dre was to sweep the show with a total of five honors.

(For a full report on the winners, click here.)

Most of the scheduled performances were in the can by the time the event was called off, including one featuring Wyclef Jean and the Rock that was taped in advance. The televised show will include the performances taped Tuesday night by Cash Money Millionaires, Jay-Z, Lil' Kim and Mobb Deep, as well as a new artist medley featuring Mos Def, Lil' Bow Wow, Tha Eastsidaz, Dead Prez and Made Men.

The most star-studded scheduled performance, Dr. Dre's medley with Eminem, Snoop Dogg, Kurupt and Nate Dogg, is not expected to be restaged, and Method Man and Redman's performance isn't expected to happen either, according to Barile.

Barile said organizers and UPN executives made the decision to telecast the show after reviewing footage taped Tuesday and concluding "there was enough material recorded to warrant putting it on the air."

He also said the network wanted to make a statement that "in spite of what happened, this is a music and a culture that needs to be celebrated in an awards show."

Last year's inaugural Source Awards produced UPN's highest ratings ever for a Friday night, according to Nielsen Media Research.

Violence Won't Be Broadcast

Footage capturing the violence in the crowd will not be included in the televised show, Barile said, adding that the outbreak occurred during a scheduled commercial break. Barile said he did not think the problems would heighten viewers' interest in the program, and he said the network did not consider that as a factor in deciding to air the event.

Barile said there have been no discussions about this year's ceremony being the last, saying a Source Awards in 2001 "is a very real and good possibility."

In reacting to The Source Awards' abrupt end, many in the hip-hop industry stressed that the incident should not be interpreted as a mark against hip-hop.

"This was an isolated incident," said Bill Redmond, president of the label Allied Artists, whose roster includes rapper and Source Awards attendee Coolio. "This should not in any way, shape or form reflect on the rap community.

"If this event was not associated with rap, this would not have made the front page," he added.

David Mays, founder and publisher of The Source, said in a statement: "It is regrettable that the actions of a few individuals disrupted an evening which seeks to celebrate the music and unity of the hip-hop community. The Source does not condone violence of any kind and over the years has worked hard to dispel negative images associated with hip-hop."

(This story was updated, with additional reporting, at 10:20 p.m. EDT Wednesday, Aug. 23, 2000.)

(Staff Writer Jahna Berry contributed to this report.)