, Coat of arms
Location within Burgundy region
Coordinates: 47°28′00″N 3°44′48″E / 47.4667°N 3.7467°E / 47.4667; 3.7467Coordinates: 47°28′00″N 3°44′48″E / 47.4667°N 3.7467°E / 47.4667; 3.7467
• Mayor (2001-2008)
21.83 km (8.43 sq mi)
• Population Density
22/km (58/sq mi)
89446 / 89450
170-339 m (560-1,112 ft),
(avg. 302 m or 991 ft)
French Land Register data, which excludes lakes, ponds, glaciers > 1 km² (0.386 sq mi or 247 acres) and river estuaries.
Population without double counting: residents of multiple communes (e.g., students and military personnel) only counted once.
Vézelay is a commune in the Yonne department in Burgundy in north-central France. It is a defendable hill town famous for Vézelay Abbey. The town and the famous 11th century Romanesque Basilica of St Magdelene are designated UNESCO World Heritage sites.
3 See also,
5 External links,
Vézelay's hilltop location has made it an obvious site for a town since ancient times. In the 9th century the Benedictines were given land to build a monastery. According to legend, not long before the end of the first millennium a monk named Baudillon brought relics (bones) of Mary Magdalene to Vézelay from Saint-Maximin-la-Sainte-Baume. In 1058 Pope Stephen IX confirmed the genuineness of the relics, leading to an influx of pilgrims that has continued to this day. Vézelay Abbey was also a major starting point for pilgrims on the Way of St. James to Santiago de Compostela, one of the most important of all medieval pilgrimage centres. This was crucially important in attracting pilgrims and the wealth they brought to the town.
Bernard of Clairvaux preached the Second Crusade at Vézelay in 1146. In 1189, the Frankish and English factions of the Third Crusade met at Vézelay before officially departing for the Holy Land.
This section includes a list of references, related reading or external links, but the sources of this section remain unclear because it lacks inline citations. Please improve this article by introducing more precise citations. (January 2011)
Bourgogne Vézelay is the local wine appellation. Vineyards descend to the edge of the town and produce a range of mostly white wines, based mainly on the Chardonnay, Pinot noir and Melon de Bourgogne grape varieties. About half of the production is marketed through the Cave Henry co-operative. The vineyards are believed to have been established by the Monastery in the ninth century. In the late nineteenth century the vineyards were decimated by phylloxera. The vineyards have been revived since the 1970s Chardonnay, Melon and Pinot noir grape varieties.
Text from this biography licensed under creative commons license