Vache Sharafyan (Armenian: Վաչե Շարաֆյան), (born February 11, 1966 in Yerevan, Armenia) is a composer from Armenia. Author of a number of symphonic, chamber, vocal, choral compositions that were performed widely by many nowadays leading musicians such as Yo-Yo Ma, Yuri Bashmet, among others. Author of a new Armenian opera "King Abgar" 2010 (producer Vigen Chaldranyan, libretto Gurgen Khanjyan, Artashes Aram). He graduated with distinction from the Composition Department of Yerevan State Musical Conservatory in 1990. In 1992, he received post-graduate education in composition as part of the class of Professor Edvard Mirzoyan.
2 List of compositions
2.4 Soloist(s) with orchestra,
2.6 Choir with instruments,
2.7 Choir with orchestra,
4 External links,
In 1992-96 as a Professor of music theory and sacred music Sharafyan worked in Jerusalem Theological Armenian Seminary (Israel). Authored a Book of Chants for Holy Sepulchre Church, Jerusalem.
As an official composer for the Silk Road Project since 2001 1, Vache Sharafyan's compositions "The Morning Scent of the Acacia's Song" for duduk and string quartet (as well as version for duduk, soprano and string orchestra) and "The Sun, the Wine and the Wind of Time" for duduk, violin, cello and piano were performed by cellist Yo-Yo Ma and the Silk Road Ensemble in Cologne Philharmonic hall, Brussels Philharmonic hall, Amsterdam's Concertgebouw, in USA: Carnegie (Stern) Hall, Carnegie (Zankel) Hall, Berkeley, Stanford Universities, Seattle Benaroya Hall, Washington National Mall, Chicago Symphony Orchestra Hall, in Rome, Florence- Theatre Pergola, Milan- Giuseppe Verdi hall.
Sharafyan is author of a number of chambers, symphonic, choral, vocal compositions. His 2007 world premiers included Viola concerto "Surgite Gloriae" with duduk, descant, baritone and orchestra performed by Yuri Bashmet and "Moscow Soloists" at Elba Isola Festival and Moscow Conservatory Grand Hall philharmonics season opening 2, "My Lofty Moon" for 5 eastern and 8 western instruments with Atlas Ensemble (cond. Ed Spanjaard) at Amsterdam Muziekgebouw 3, "11 arrangements & transcriptions by Komitas" with G. Dabaghyan and NCOA at Theatre du Chatelet in Paris, "Quintetto quasi Concerto per pianoforte e archi" with violinist Movses Pogossian and LA Symphony principals at Zipper hall in Los Angeles, "On wings of hymnal" no 3, 4 for two cellos (with singing parts) with Suren Bagratuni and Ling-Yi Ou Yang in Taipei. Sharafyans' 2008 premiers include "Sinfonia 2 un poco Concertante" commissioned by Boston Modern Orchestra Project, cond. Gil Rose (May 23, 2008, Jordan Hall, Boston), as well as premiere of the Concerto for Cello and Strings with Suren Bagratuni and NCOA.
Among Sharafyan's participated festivals in 2005-2011 are: in January 2005 Budapest Mini Festival; in March 2005 in Transcaucacian Festival of Modern Music in Georgia; Mansfield Symphony concert at Renaissance Theatre with premiering of Tenor Saxophone Concerto played by maestro James Houlik and cond. Robert Franz, in July 2005 in Baroque festival in Yerevan; in September-October 2005 in MATA Festival in New York; In October 2005 in Festival "Perspectives XXI" in Armenia; in November 2005 in Festival Culturescapes in Switzerland; in February 2006 Icebreaker three: the Caucasus festival in Seattle (US); in March, 2006 in Contempo Music Series in Chicago; in March 2006 "Dilijan Chamber Music Concert Series" in Zipper Hall in Los Angeles; in May, 2006 in "Hommage a Bartok" concert series dedicated to Bartok's 125th anniversary in Budapest; in June 2006 in Caucasian Chamber Orchestra festival in Tbilisi, Georgia; June 2006 in Maverick Hall chamber music series in Woodstock, USA; in December 2006 in Estovest festival in Turin, Italy, in January 2007 in Atlas ensemble festival in Amsterdam Muziekgebouw ("world premiere of "My Lofty Moon" for 5 eastern and 8 western instruments with Atlas Ensemble, cond. Ed Spanjaard), in 2008 at Dilijan music series in Los Angeles, Boston Modern Orchestra Project with the Would premiere of Sinfonia 2 un poco Concertante conducted by Gil Rose, at Return festival in Yerevan, in 2009 at Homecoming festival in Moscow, PHAROS festival in Cyprus, National Gallery festival in Yerevan, Perspectives XXI festival, in 2010 Orchestra Sinfonica Siciliana concerts in Palermo, 2011 - Jacaranda Music on the Edge festival in Santa Monica (USA), 4020 festival in Austria, Podium festival in Eslingen, Germany, Dilijan Chamber Music Series in Los Angeles with the World premiere of "Have Mercy on me , O God" for tenor and string quartet commissioned by Soli Deo Gloria...
Sharafyan's compositions were performed in Armenia, Israel, France, USA, Italy, Germany, Belgium, Holland, England, Ireland, Scotland, Canada, Ukraine, Russia, Georgia, Lebanon, Thailand, Hungary, Austria, Taiwan, Mexico, Switzerland, Greece, Sweden, Japan and Iceland.
Sharafyan has been a prize winner in the 1986 All-Union Composers' Competition in Moscow.
Sharafyan has been a BMI Composer since 2002. Publishers: G.Schirmer, Editions BIM CDs on Albany records (New York)- Trio 2 "dream of dreams", "blooming sounds", Traditional crossroads (New York "sun, wine wind of time", Two Devotions, Arrangements and transcriptions", BIS records(Sweden) - Suite for cello and orchestra, Crane for cello, duduk, piano, LouthCMS (Ireland) 2 hymns sang by HILLIARD Ensemble. Nominated to "Civitella Ranieri Fellowship" in 2006, Italy. Guest professor at UCLA in 2011.
List of compositions:
1`. "KING ABGAR", 15 soloists, mix choir, symphony orchestra; 2 acts, 7 scenes; dur. 2 hours. (2010)
1. "The Another Moon" /ballet of sacred gestures/ for orchestra /1,2,1,1, 4,2 timpani, percussion-4, harp, piano, strings, dur. 60 min. (2013) (scenario is about George Gurdjieff...)
1. Sinfonia 2 un poco Concertante for symphony orchestra with duduk (pre-recorded or life) 2007; commissioned by the Boston Modern Orchestra (BMOP), cond. Gil Rose; dur 25 min.
2. Poem for string orchestra, 1987, /9 violins, 3 altos,2 Cellos,1 C-basso/ 15,20min.
3. Symphony for full symphony orchestra/1990/, 17,30min.
4. "Khostovank" for chamber orchestra/1991/ /Flute, Oboe, Horn F, Percussion/1/, Piano, Violins 9, Violas 3, V-cellos 3, C-basso 1. 14min.
5. Concerto for string orchestra/1992/ 9violins,3 altos,3 cellos, c-basso. 12,30min.
6. Concerto-grosso for orchestra /2 Pianos,4 violins,2 violas,2 v-cellos,C-basso / /2002/16min.
Soloist(s) with orchestra:
7. "Concertoserenata" for violin and string orchestra/1998/ 19min. dedicated to Movses Pogossian
8. Concerto-sonata for alto saxophone, piano and string orchestra./2000/16 min.
9. «The Morning Scent of the Acacia's Song» /orchestral version/ for duduk, voce/soprano/ & string orchestra. 2003. 17 min.
10. Concerto for Tenor Saxophone and Full Symphony Orchestra. /dedicated to James Houlik/ 2003. 18' min.
11. Concerto for Violoncello and Orchestra (chamber and symphony orchestra versions), dedicated to Suren Bagratuni, 2004, 23'min.
12. "Surgite Gloriae" Viola Concerto with duduk, descant, baritone, Fr. horn, and strings; dedicated to Yuri Bashmet; dur. 20 min. 2005
13. "CON-COR-D-ANCE" concerto for violin and chamber orchestra (flute, oboe, Fr. Horn 1,2 trumpet Bb, harp, percussion, strings), dur. 28 min. 2008
14. "Luminous Silhouette of a Song" for clarinet & orchestra (flute 1,2, Oboe 1,2, Fr. Horn 1,2, Trumpet, harp, percussion-2, strings) dur. 11 min. 2008 (commissioned by CDMC France, publisher Editions BIM)
15. "Luminous Silhouette of a Song" for clarinet & orchestra (version with ensemble of winds: flute 2, oboe, clarinet 2, bass clarinet, alto sax, tenor sax, baritone sax, horn 2, trumpet 2, trombone, euphonium, tuba, percussion 2). 2008 (commissioned by CDMC France, publisher BIM)
16. Suite for viola and orchestra (oboe, strings) dedicated to Yuri Bashmet
17. Suite for cello and orchestra , recorded on BIS records (Sweden), Alexander Chaushian and APO, cond. Eduard Topchjan
16. Heralding Dawn music for 15 instruments /1990/ /Flute, Oboe, Clarinet in Bb, Fagot, Horn in F, Trumpet Bb, Trombone,Percussion/2/,Piano,Violin1,Violin2, Viola, V-cello, C-basso/ 11min.
17. Five songs for soprano and piano by Metsarents/1993/ 15,20min.
18. String quartet/1997/ 19,20min.
19. Sonata No1 for violin and piano/1997/ 11,30min.
20. Sonata No2 for violin and piano/1998/, to Movses Pogossian 12 min.
21. "The sun, the wine and the wind of time" for doodouk, violin, violoncello and piano./1998/ 16,5min.
22. "To Autumnal Leaves and to Stars" for alto saxophone, violin, violoncello, percussion and piano./1999/ 8min./later included in "The Four Seasons"/
23. "Two Devotions" for Tar, Kemancha, Dhol, Tam-Tam, Piano and string quartet./1999/ 25min.
24. "The Eclipse" for alto saxophone, violin and piano./1999/ 14,10min.
25. Trio N1 for violin, violoncello and piano. /2000/ commissioned for Pittsburgh Trio 15,10min.
26. Sonata for alto saxophone and piano/2000/ 15,30min. /commissioned by John Sampen/
27. "The Morning Scent of the Acacia's Song" for doodouk and string quartet./commissioned for Yo-Yo Ma's the Silk Road Project Inc./2001/ 16min. Publisher - G. Schirmer
28. "By Kouchak" for voce, flute, clarinet and piano./2001/ 6min.
29. "The Four Seasons" for twelve musicians/4 soloists/ and reader /2001/./commissioned by PNME (Pittsburgh New Music Ensemble, cond.Kevin Noe) Flute, alto saxophone, percussion/3/, piano, soprano, violin 1,violin 2, viola, violoncello, c-basso, reader. 35' min
30. "Ascending Kemancha" for doudook/zurna/,V-cello,Piano. /2002/15min/Dedicated to Yo-Yo Ma/.
31. "Ancient Anthem" for Soprano and Violin /2002/, to Tony Arnold and Movses Pogossian, 7'min.
32. Piano Trio N2 «The Dream of Dreams» for violin, cello and piano 2003. 14 min. /commissioned by Baird trio/ premiered in Carnegie Hall on April 9, 2003.
33. "Adumbrations of the Peacock" for Piano Quartet/Violin, Viola, V-cello & Piano/ / 2003/. ~14min/ Written for the "Apple Hill Chamber Music Players"/.
34. "Voices of the invisible blue butterflies" for piano, 2004, 7' min.
35. OFFERTORIUM for solo clarinet, flute, trumpet, percussion, piano, violin, cello, c-bass 10 min. (written for Hammage a Bartok concert series in Budapest) 2006 ,
36. CANTICUM GRATIOSUM for baritone, flute, clarinet, trumpet, percussion, piano, violin, cello, c-bass 12 min. 2005
37. Blooming Sounds for solo violin 2005, 10 min, to Movses Pogossian, (commissioned by AGBU)
38. Another tale for solo piano; 3 min. 2007
39. Luminous Silhouette of a song for clarinet with orchestra /reduction version for clarinet with piano/ (commissioned by CDMC France, publisher Editions BIM, Switzerland) 2008
40. "Vi-O- La" no. 1 for solo viola (3 movements), ded. to Maxim Novikov, 10 min. 2008
41. "Vi-O-La" no. 2 for solo viola (3 movements), ded. to Maxim Novikov, 14 min. 2009
42. "Light-Drop Peals" for soprano & viola by poetry of Basho 20 min. commissioned by Maxim Novikov 2009, clarinet-viola version premiered by Andy Miles and Max Novikov in Berlin in 2012 and recorded in 2013.
43. Golden Apricot for kyamancha and violin (written for Golden Apricot Film Festival opening ceremony 2009
44. "Verses" 1,2,3 for violin and percussion; 16 min. 2009
45. "Night-garden music" for violin and cello; to Movses Pogossian and Rohan de Saram, recorded in Cyprus, 10 min. 2010
46. Esquisses Noctalgiques for wind quintet (flute, oboe, clarinet, bassoon, Fr. horn) and duduk/zurna 2010, 23min. commissioned by Winds Instruments Academy of Marseille, France; Quintette a Vent de Marseille premiered in 2012 in Venelles and Aix-en Provence.
47. "Once in a Beautiful Meadow" for ensemble Zerafin (Amsterdam), 15min., 2011, based on a fable from Kalila and Dimna
48. "Path towards this moment" for viola and organ, to Maxim Novikov and Jevgenia Lisitsina, (premiered in Riga Dome) 7 min. 2012.
49. Serenade with a Dandelion for 2 violins, written for the inauguration of Dilijan Chamber Music Series in Los Angeles, dedicated to Varty Manuelian and Movses Pogossian, premiered in Zipper Hall, 2005.
50. "Between the dream and awakening" for saxophone and cello; 8 min. 2012; for Suren Bagratuni and James Forger,
51. Sonata- Fantasy for Viola and Piano 20 min. to M. Novikov, 2010
52. PARTITA for violin and piano (5 movements, 17 min.); dedicated to Anne Akiko Meyers, 2012
53. CONTINUATIONS four movements for piano trio (14 min) , for SIMA Trio (NY). 2012
54. 4 Arrangements of Komitas pieces for piano trio, 2012
55. Madrigale for alto saxophone , 8 minutes /2013/; commissioned by James Umble
56. "Gem-Rose" for soprano, cello and pre-recorded track, to Marta Bagratuni; /7 min./ 2013
57. "Eyes color of the sea" for soprano and cello /7 min/ 2013
58. TRIO # 3 "Moon over the Jerusalem" for piano, violin & cello (2013); 19 min., commissioned by Trio Atanassov
Choir with instruments:
46. "Ter vor i mej lerinn" for mix choir a capella by Mashtots /1996/5,15min.
47. "Tsov Kentsaghuis" / "the sea of our life troubling me"/ by sharakan of St.Mesrop Mashtots /5th century/ For Counter-Tenor, Tenor, Baritone, Bass and three duduks / 2003/ ~5min.
48. SNOW CANTATA for mix choir (+organ in 2 movements); 40 min. 2011
Choir with orchestra:
48. CANTICUM DOLOROSUM et CANTICUM PACIFICUM for soprano, mix choir and orchestra (D trumpet, percussion, piano, strings) 23 min.
49. LACRYMOSA for cello, descant, soprano and symphony orchestra 12 min.