MTV Artists

Millions of artists.
Your pocket.
One app.
Download now

Download on the App Store Stay in
My Browser
LightFM (call sign: 89.9) is a Christian community radio station in Melbourne, Australia. It broadcasts on 89.9 FM (3TSC) from studios at 333 Mitcham Road, in Mitcham and a transmitter on Mount Dandenong. History: The station's beginnings can be traced to 1977 when Melbourne Christian Radio was founded It conducted test broadcasts in 1980, 1981, and 1982, as 3MGR before purchasing air time on commercial station 3DB, which is now known as Mix 101.1. The organisation that runs LightFM was formerly called Triple Seven Communications. They conducted a three month temporary broadcast in late 2001 and was informed in December of that year that they were successful for one of the four community licenses available from the Australian Broadcasting Authority, now the Australian Communications and Media Authority. LightFM began full time permanent broadcasting on Sunday 1 December 2002. Initiatives: Fairfax News on 3AW: 89.9 LightFM simulcasts the Fairfax News Network broadcast on 3AW every hour or so. Nine News Simulcast: An exclusive simulcast of the Nine News at 6pm with Peter Hitchener and Alicia Loxley airs at 6pm every night of the week, except if the Nine Network is covering the cricket or the NRL Grand Final. The newsreader for that night chats with LightFM every afternoon, previewing the bulletin at 6pm. Careline: The LightFM Careline is a supportive service for people that need prayer, an explanation of Christianity, or simply an understanding ear. Where requested callers can be referred to a local church. The Lord Mayor's Charitable Fund has assisted with the operating costs of the Careline in 2003, 2004 and 2005. Digital Radio: LightFM is no longer simulcast on Digital Radio in Melbourne. LightDigital, a station only broadcast on digital radio, was launched on 1 December 2011. Another digital station known as LightChristmas was also temporarily launched on 3 December 2012 and closed on 1 January 2013. Presenters: LightFM on-air team: The presenters of LightFM these include Ken Green, Lucy Holmes, Clayton Bjelan, Dan Veling, Jimi Love, Kel McWilliam, Cam Want and Allan Martin, as well as Nine News Melbourne team Shows: LightFM has many full time announcers employed at the radio station. On-Air schedule: Weekdays: 5am-6am | Chuck Swindoll & Focus On The Family, 6am-9am | Lucy and Kel, 9am-12pm | Dan Veling, 12pm-3pm | Afternoons, 3pm-6pm | Cam Want, 6pm-7pm | Nine News Exclusive Simulcast, 7pm-7:30pm | The Late Late Breakfast with Lucy and Kel, 7:30pm-11pm | Your Requests with Jimi Love, 11-11:40pm| A Different Perspective with Berni Dymet, Saturday: 5am-6am | Chuck Swindoll & History Makers, 6am-8am | Best Of Lucy and Kel, 8am-10am | The Grandstanders with Craig Harper and Jane O'Brien, 10am-6pm | Best Weekend Music Mix in Melbourne, 6pm-7pm | Nine News Exclusive Simulcast, 7pm-midnight | LightFM's Saturday Party Mix, Sunday: 5am-6am | In Touch & Christianity Works, 6am-10am | Experience Church with Allan Martin, 10am-12pm | Hot 25 Countdown with Liam Renton, 12pm-6pm | Best Weekend Music Mix in Melbourne, 6pm-7pm | Nine News Exclusive Simulcast, 6:30pm-8pm | In Conversation with Clayton, 8pm-10pm | Open House withDwayne Jeffries, 10pm-12am | Green Room with Cam Want, Spoken Word Programs: Focus On The Family | Weekdays 5:30am & 11pm, Insight for Living | Monday-Saturday 5am, A Different Perspective | Weeknights 11:40pm, History Makers | Saturday 5:30am, In Touch | Sunday 5am, Christianity Works | Sunday 5:30am, Music: Christian: LightFM plays a wide array of music of both Christian and secular. Christian music on the station is generally a mixture of pop, modern rock, and gospel. These include songs from such artists as Luminate, Rachel Lampa, Casting Crowns, Sanctus Real, and Britt Nicole. LightFM play up to 40% Christian music not including Christian songs from mainstream artists such as U2. Mainstream: LightFM generally play a mix of adult contemporary music. This makes up the other 60% of music they play. This quite often results in the station playing songs from the Billboard 100 Adult Contemporary. These include songs by Guy Sebastian, Delta Goodrem, and The Script. They also include music from the Top 40 Australia and United States singles charts. However, they still play a variety of pop and Soft rock songs from the 1990s and early 2000s.

Source: Wikipedia

Text from this biography licensed under creative commons license